Parents of minor children who are getting divorced or were never married must work out a legal arrangement that works best for the children. This usually means that the noncustodial parent must pay child support to the person who holds custody. With the help of our Texas family lawyer, you can ensure that you and your children’s legal rights are always protected. At Hixson Law Firm, we have years of experience and the necessary resources to help you to get the results that you need for your family. A change in financial support is known as child support modification.  

Child Support Laws

Your child support order in Texas is only eligible for modification only if one or more of the following applies to the situation:

  • The monthly amount of the child support order differs by $100 from the amount that would be awarded or 20%
  • The order was last modified or established more than three years ago.

Also, a modification only applies if the noncustodial parent’s income has increased or decreased. And they are legally responsible for other children and/or the child, or children’s insurance coverage has changed in some way. In order to execute child support modification, an in-office negotiation or a Child Support Review Process must be done. A court hearing may also occur. Informal agreements do not change the amount. This is only done by one of the two options above.

How Do I Modify My Child Support Order?

First gather all relevant information, including name and address of the other parent, copy of the original support order and the name and addresses of the child or children involved in the original order. With the help of our family lawyer, you can file a petition for child support modification. If the court rules in your favor, the modification becomes effective the date that the original petition was filed.

Call to Schedule a Free Consultation with a Texas Family Lawyer Today

If you’re interested in learning more about child support modification, call our experienced legal team today. The Hixson Law Firm serves the cities of Arlington, Grand Prairie and Mansfield, Texas. To schedule an appointment for a free consultation with a professional Texas family attorney, call (817) 261-5000 today.